This web page lists answers to questions about running a business.
Have a question that’s not here already? Email your question to emil@naroch.ca.

Do I need to register my Engineering Business?

In Ontario yes. If your company or proprietorship is offering Engineering Services to the public, then it needs a Certificate of Autorization (C of A) from the PEO, and must have a licensed P.Eng. taking responsibility for the work done. This does not apply if your firm is building a product which it then sells to the public.

Do I need to register for GST/HST?

Not if your revenue is less than $30,000 per year. Otherwise, yes.

Should I incorporate my business?

In most cases, yes, but seek advice from an accountant. Although there are certain tax advantages to being incorporated, expect to spend $1K to $2K one-time startup cost, and $2K to $3K in legal and accounting fees every year.